Packed with Beetroot, Berries, Nuts, Pumpkin and Sunflower Seeds, one bar will give you a full on Omega, Iron and Vitamin C blast to power you through the day!
I spent last Saturday in Newcastle for the day brunching and shopping. While shopping I went through the local market. So many fresh fruits and vegetables that I couldn’t resist buying! There is definitely something more satisfying about buying your fruit and veg from a local market. I ended up getting a load of beetroot and when I got back I was trying to think up a recipe I could use them in. I love beetroot in brownies (Protein Beetroot Brownies) but decided to try something different which is where these bars come in.
In the recipe i use a mixture of nuts and seeds which you can chop and change for whatever you have in your cupboard. I used an Omega mix for the topping which is a mixture of 5 seeds with a rich, nutty flavour packed with vitamins and minerals. You can however simply make your own mix.
Each slice is only 115 calories and contains 6g Protein, making a perfect healthy energy boosting snack!
- BOTTOM LAYER:
- 1 large beetroot, cooked and peeled (around 110g cooked)
- 2 bananas
- 75 g oats
- 3 tbsp low calorie fruit syrup
- 25g Walnuts (could use any other nuts)
- TOP LAYER:
- 75 g berries (fresh or frozen)
- 40 g oats
- 25g Omega mix (mix of seeds and nuts- you could make your own blend e.g. sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds and crushed almonds)
- 1 tbsp low calorie fruit syrup or maple syrup
- 70 ml nut milk (I used almond)
- Preheat the oven to 180C / 350F / Gas Mark 4.
- Prepare the bottom layer - in a blender or food processor, blitz the beetroot and bananas to a purée then add the oats, syrup and nuts and pulse a few times until finely chopped (but not a completely smooth paste).
- Line a 20cm x 20cm baking tin with greaseproof paper or baking parchment, and spread the mixture evenly over the bottom of the tin.
- Bake for 8 minutes, then remove from the oven and set aside.
- In a bowl, combine all the ingredients for the top layer, then spread them evenly over the bottom layer.
- Return them to the oven for a further 12-15 minutes until starting to turn golden brown.
- Remove from the oven and leave in the tin to cool.
- Then slice into individual bites or bars and enjoy!