Beetroot chocolate protein balls are healthy, packed with veg and they’re easy-to-make and for sure easy-to-eat. The protein balls are filled with goodness courtesy of oats and protein-rich peanut butter and for the vegetable in this recipe I’ve added beets –such a great combo with the chocolate! They are both vegan and gluten free!
For me protein balls are one of those snacks that are so easy to make, you should never need to buy them. They taste amazing on their own but added goodness can easily be added through rolling them in coconut, linseed and matcha powder like I have done here. You could also use cocoa powder, chopped nuts and chia seeds.
I acquired a bunch of raw beetroot from my boyfriends mums garden and these were the first recipe that popped to mind (although I definitely fancy making a beetroot hummus or beetroot crisps as well….stay stunned for more beetroot recipes). The protein balls have a subtle earthy taste from the beets, which go beautifully with the chocolate just like in my Protein Beetroot Brownies recipe.
See below for the recipe…
- 75g (2/3 cup) rolled oats
- 1 cooked, cooled beetroot (about 75g)
- 125g (1/2 cup) peanut butter
- 2 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 1 tablespoon agave nectar or honey
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon vegan protein powder
- Coconut, matcha powder, milled linseeds etc… for rolling
- In a food processor, blitz the oats until they are fine. Add all other ingredients and combine. Roll into teaspoon-sized balls, roll in coconut, matcha powder etc… and store in the refrigerator or freezer.