Berry Layered Chia Pudding. Chia seeds transform into a delicious pudding-like texture when soaked in liquid. Take this superfood to the next level by layering it with delicious berry smoothie! A vegan and gluten-free recipe.
With Summer around the corner (hopefully!) it’s the perfect time to start making more refreshing smoothies. For me one of the best ways to enjoy a smoothie is to combine it with chia pudding. Chia seeds are one of those foods that definitely deserve the ‘superfood’ status. For such a small seed, chia seeds contain some important nutrients.
The seeds are rich in minerals such as calcium and magnesium as well as being high in Omega-3 fatty acids. The combination of fat, protein and fibre means the seeds are digested relatively slowly, providing long, slow release of energy to keep blood-sugar levels stable. The perfect breakfast (or dessert of course)!
Then there’s the toppings. We already know from my smoothie bowls how much I love throwing stuff on top of smoothies. I think since this craze took over Instagram, I haven’t been able to have a smoothie without some fancy toppings on it. I kept this one relatively simply with berries and buckwheat puffs but you could be as creative as you like.
I hope you enjoy…..
- Chia Pudding:
- 3 tablespoons Chia Seeds
- 100ml (1/2 cup) Plant milk of your choice (i used almond)
- 1 teaspoon Maple Syrup
- ¼ teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- Berry Layer:
- 1 Frozen Banana
- 60g (1/2 cup) Frozen Mixed Berries
- Handful of Spinach
- ½ cooked beetroot
- Squeeze of lime
- 2 inch piece of fresh ginger
- 50ml (1/3 cup) Plant milk of your choice (i used almond)
- Scoop of Vegan Protein (i used berry flavour)
- Place all the ingredients for the Chia pudding in a bowl and stir to combine. Let it sit for 15-20 minutes or overnight if possible. Stir it a couple of times during the waiting to make sure the seeds are evenly distributed.
- Blend everything for the berry layer together until completely smooth.
- Layer everything in a glass of your choice and enjoy!
Don’t forget to tag me in your pictures on Instagram if you try it! xx