Crispy Taco Shells filled with a tasty tofu and black bean mixture is a combination you just can’t beat. This Healthy Vegan Recipe is super quick and easy you’ll be able to whip it up in less than 30 minutes!
Mexican food to me is the ultimate comfort food and food I just can’t get enough of! I’m talking fajitas, nachos, burritos, tacos… you name it I love it! I also love to mix and match my fillings. As well as the standard mince or chicken filling I also love creating vegetarian fillings such as this tofu and black bean mix.
You may have noticed that I also love creating sweet bakes with black beans… Black Bean Protein Brownies alongside savoury dishes such as my Black Bean Fritters which make a great breakfast or brunch! They really are so versatile, not to mention being packed with protein and fibre! When you combine the black beans with the Tofu it makes for a great complete protein source that is as tasty and as filling as any meat dish!
I love that with many Mexican dishes you often only need one pan and a handful of ingredients. I have to be honest I often cheat and buy the spice mix packs in the supermarkets to save on time. However, if you have a cupboard full of spices its almost just as easy to make your own.
Heres the recipe I follow when I’m not cheating:
- Taco Shells
- 1 Block of Tofu, drained and crumbled
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp chilli powder
- ¼ tsp garlic powder
- 1 Onion
- 1 Stick of Celery
- 1 X 400G Tin black beans
- Optional Toppings; Tomatoes, Avocado, Lettuce Leaves
- Start by chopping your onion and celery and placing it in a heated pan, stir fry until golden
- Mix in your tofu crumbs and cook for about 5 minutes, stirring continuously
- Add in your spices and continue to cook until looking crispy around the edges
- Finally add the black beans and spinach to the mix for a further few minutes
- Place taco shells in oven according to package instructions (around 2-3 minutes)
- Layer your taco shells with a lettuce leaf, scrambled tofu mix, fresh tomatoes and salsa
- Serve with extra salsa, hot sauce, avocado etc
What's Your Reaction?
Hi, I’m Vicky and I created this blog to hopefully pass on my passion for baking up yummy healthy creations. Eating healthy and exercising is a big part of my lifestyle and something that is very important to me. Thanks for reading!