These banana cookies are loaded with protein, seeds, oats and whole grains for a cookie that packs some serious health benefits. They are the healthiest breakfast cookies…ever! They are both gluten-free and refined sugar free.
I’d forgive you for thinking cookies surely can’t be a new breakfast staple, however where these cookies are concerned they sure can! There is no added sugar or butter to these cookies and each little cookie is the perfect balance of protein and carbs making them the healthiest on the go breakfast.
These cookies are super easy to make, requiring only one bowl and an oven. They are a great recipe to add to the meal prep list on a Sunday. Although I describe these as a breakfast cookie of course they would make a great morning or afternoon snack.
As mentioned these cookies are packed with health; with ingredients such as banana, oats, flaxseed and chia seeds. Seeds are a great source of protein, healthy fats and provide micronutrients, for example chia seeds are known for their fiber and omega-3 fatty acids.
I added extra protein through protein powder and a small amount of protein shake. You could however add extra oats instead of the powder and use ordinary milk instead of the protein shake.
Hopefully you are convinced enough now that you really should make these cookies…. so here is the recipe:
- 2 bananas (small mashed ripe)
- 1 cup oats
- 1½ teaspoons cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons ground flax seed
- 1 tablespoon chia seeds
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- 50ml Banana Protein Shake (could sub with milk)
- Half Scoop of Vanilla Whey (optional)
- peanut butter (Drizzle:)
- ½ cup peanut powder
- ¾ cup unsweetened almond milk
- Preheat oven to 180o. Line a baking sheet with a silicon mat or parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, mash the banana. Stir in the remaining ingredients.
- With a small cookie scoop, scoop the dough into 12 mounds. Don't worry about spacing, they won't spread when being baked.
- Flatten each cookie to about ¼ inch.
- Bake the cookies for 13-15 minutes or until the cookies are slightly firm, but soft to the touch.
- Let cookies cool for about 5 minutes on cookie sheet, then transfer to a wire rack.
- Peanut Butter Drizzle: In a small bowl, whisk together the peanut flour with ¼ cup of milk until smooth. Add more if yours is too thick. Drizzle each cookie.
- Store in an air tight container in the refrigerator.
What's Your Reaction?
Hi, I’m Vicky and I created this blog to hopefully pass on my passion for baking up yummy healthy creations. Eating healthy and exercising is a big part of my lifestyle and something that is very important to me. Thanks for reading!