Healthy Chickpea Blondies made from everybody’s favourite bean! They’re gluten-free, high in protein and are perfectly moist and gooey from the added peanut butter. No one will guess that they’re made from chickpeas!
So as you can see from the title, the ‘secret’ ingredient to this recipe is chickpeas! The Benefits of using chickpeas in desserts/baking:
- Higher in protein compared to regular flour
- High in fibre
- Has a lower IG number compared to flour – doesn’t cause spikes in your blood glucose.
- Doesn’t have a strong flavour so it can easily be masked
- Gives desserts and baked goods a dense texture, perfect for blondies/brownies!
- High in vitamins (A, K, C, B6) and minerals (potassium, iron, calcium, magnesium)
So there you go the chickpea really is a great addition to baking! I did also add a bit of extra gluten free flour to the mix to give a bit more of a cakey texture but you could also use oat flour or buckwheat flour as an alternative.
This recipe is SO easy! Simply toss everything (except the chocolate chips and chia seeds) into the container of your blender and blend away! It takes 5 minutes to put together and 30 minutes to bake. Which means that you can have a delicious dessert or snack ready to go in no time! Heres the recipe…..
- 1 can (400g) chickpeas
- 40g (1/4) cup peanut butter
- 1 scoop of vanilla protein powder (optional- add vanilla extract if not using)
- 3 tbsp coconut oil (melted)
- 35g (1/4 cup) gluten free flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 4 Tbsp egg whites (could sub for coconut milk)
- Tbsp Chia Seeds
- ¼ tsp salt
- ¼ cup (30g) chocolate chips or cacao nibs
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees. Grease a baking tray and set aside.
- Put all ingredients except for chocolate chips and chia seeds into your blender or food processor.
- Blend until creamy and smooth.
- Once smooth, add chocolate chips and chia seeds and mix by hand.
- Pour mixture into your prepared tray and spread out evenly.
- Sprinkle a few more chocolate chips and sea salt on top.
- Bake in your preheated oven for 20-30 mintues until the edges just pull away from the pan, the top is set and slightly golden brown.
- Let cool for at least 15 minutes, then enjoy!
- Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator. You can eat them cold or warm in the microwave for 15 seconds to regain the fresh-from-the-oven deliciousness!