Ok bold statement coming up…but I think these may be the best ever Vegan Protein Bars I’ve made! They are a no bake raw dessert/ snack with a crispy chocolatey buckwheat base topped with a soft cookie dough layer!
I definetly think its the base of these bars that has won me over! The smooth dark chocolate and peanut butter combination with the crunchy buckwheat puffs just works!
I topped them off with some salted caramel pea snacks by BraveFoods, to add even more crunch and flavour and my oh my did they do just that! If you don’t have these pea snacks however you could use chopped nuts instead.
Like a lot of my protein bars these are also low in carbs and high in protein. This isn’t because I’m on a low carb diet but I tend to prefer to save a lot of my carbs for my three main meals in the day. I also find the high protein content in bars like these actually keeps me full until my next meal, whereas if I have a high carb snack I’m hungry again an hour later (but this could just be me!).
Heres the recipe..
- CHOCOLATE CRUNCH LAYER
- 45g (1/2 cup) dark chocolate chips
- 2 tbsp almond butter (or peanut butter, hazelnut butter, cashew butter)
- 2 tbsp mixed seeds (I used a breakfast boost seed mix)
- 15g (1 cup) puffed buckwheat (or rice crisps)
- COOKIE DOUGH
- 50g (1/2 cup) ground almond
- 35g (1/3 cup) oat flour
- 4 tbsp vegan protein
- 3 tbsp fruit syrup (or maple syrup)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 and ½ tbsp chocolate chips
- Top: Pea Snacks or Chopped Nuts
- Line a baking dish with parchment paper, set aside.
- Melt the chocolate chips in the microwave. Once melted, transfer to a mixing bowl and stir in the almond butter, seeds, and buckwheat puffs.
- Pour the mixture into the prepared baking dish and place in the freezer for 20 minutes. In the meantime, prepare the cookie dough.
- In a mixing bowl, stiff together the almond flour, oat flour, and protein powder. Add the syrup, vanilla extract, and mix until a dough forms. Stir in the chocolate chips.
- Transfer the cookie dough to the baking dish and spread it in an even layer on top of the chocolate crisp layer.
- Carefully remove from the baking dish and cut into 10 small bars
- Store in the fridge
What's Your Reaction?
Hi, I’m Vicky and I created this blog to hopefully pass on my passion for baking up yummy healthy creations. Eating healthy and exercising is a big part of my lifestyle and something that is very important to me. Thanks for reading!