These dense, chewy vegan brownies are stuffed with cookie dough! You’ll never believe they’re completely oil and butter free, and are a healthy, gluten free treat for only 100 calories!
I have made a similar protein snack before: Brookies which contain a cookie dough layer with a brownie layer on top, however these weren’t Vegan. Therefore I decided to create a similar Vegan version with the same high protein and of course yummy taste! I also wanted a good excuse to use my new PB (peanut butter) powder I bought while at BeFit London. I incorporated the original flavour in the peanut cookie dough and the chocolate flavour PB powder in the brownie. If you’re a peanut butter fan like me you will love this added addition!
Believe me….. when you bite into the chocolate layer and come across the peanut layer you’ll want to thank me and eat the whole batch at once. They are so easy to make requiring only a food processor or blender (I used a VonShef food processor which is great) a couple of bowls and an oven!
Each Brownie contains 6g Protein, 7g Carbs and 3g Fat making them the perfect guilt free snack. For me I always crave chocolate in the afternoon and these have been the perfect chocolate replacement to curb those cravings.
Go ahead and try them out for yourselves…
- FOR THE COOKIE LAYER:
- 100g Chickpeas drained and rinsed
- 3 Tbsp PB Fit Powdered Peanut Butter
- 2 Tbsp of Agave or low calorie fruit syrup
- 2 Tbsp Unsweetened apple sauce
- 1 Tbsp Natural creamy peanut butter
- ¾ tsp vanilla extract
- Pinch of salt
- Pinch of baking soda
- 1½ Tbsp Dairy-free mini chocolate chips
- FOR THE BROWNIE LAYER:
- 3 Tbsp Natural creamy peanut butter
- 3 Tbsp of Agave or low calorie fruit syrup
- 1 Tbsp Coconut sugar
- 4 Tbsp Unsweetened apple sauce
- ½ Tbsp vanilla extract
- 2 Tbsp Unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 Tbsp PB Fit Powdered Chocolate Peanut Butter
- 20ml of Almond Milk
- ½ tsp Baking soda
- ½ tsp Baking powder
- ¼ tsp Salt
- Preheat your oven to 180 degrees and line the bottom of an 8 inch baking pan with parchment paper, rubbing the sides of the pan with coconut oil. Set aside.
- Wash and drain the chickpeas, remove any of the chickpea skins that have come loose.
- Add the chickpeas into a food processor, along with all of the remaining ingredients for the cookie layer, except for the chocolate chips. Blend until smooth and creaming, stopping the food processor to scrape down the sides as necessary. You want it really creamy!
- Transfer the mixture to a small bowl and stir in the chocolate chips. Set aside while you make the brownie layer.
- Place the peanut butter and agave in a large, microwave-safe bowl and microwave until the peanut butter is smooth and melted, about 1 minutes.
- Add in the coconut sugar, apple sauce, vanilla milk and beat with an electric hand mixer until well mixed.
- Stir in all of the remaining ingredients, and then blend again until totally mixed. Your batter will be pretty thick.
- Reserve ¼ of the cup of the brownie batter and then spread the rest evenly into the bottom of the prepared pan.
- Dollop the cookie dough layer on top of the brownie layer and gently spread it evenly over top, so the brownie layer is totally covered.
- Drop the reserved brownie layer in small chunks over top of the cookie dough layer. Use a sharp knife to gently spread and swirl the brownie layer into the cookie layer, leaving some of the cookie layer exposed.
- Bake until the edges are golden brown and begin to pull away from the sides, and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, about 25-30 minutes.
- Let cool to room temperature and then refrigerate to cool for at least 2 hours.
- Slice and DEVOUR.