Fancy a quick and easy vegetarian meal that can be whipped up in 15 minutes? Then this recipe is the one for you. If you’ve got the pre-misconception that tofu is bland then you definitely need to try this and I promise you won’t look back!
It took me a while to perfect getting tofu crispy and i spent many times wringing out tofu to try and get it dry before cooking. However sometimes simple ways are the best and I’ve found baking it for around 20 minutes in the oven is the best way to get that crispy coating and soft centre. I tend to precook a batch of tofu and then add it to different recipes across the week.
If you like Mexican food then you’ll love the combination of tofu with the black beans and spices. Not to mention when combined with the Avocado topping (drool).
And of course this meal doesn’t skip on Protein either at 23g per serving. Not bad for a vegetarian meal I hear you say. See below for the recipe:
- ½ tbsp coconut oil
- 25g chopped mushrooms
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp hot smoked paprika
- 1 tsp cayenne pepper
- 100g firm Tofu
- 80g Black Beans
- Handful chopped coriander
- Wedge of Lime
- To serve; Tortilla wrap, Avocado, quark or sour cream, spinach and tomatoes.
- Chop the Tofu into squares and place on a tray lined with baking paper. Bake in the oven for 20 minutes at 180c.
- Meanwhile heat the oil in a large frying pan and add the mushrooms and blacks beans. Season and cook on a medium heat for a few mins Add the coriander stems, fry for 1 min, stirring, then add the spices and cook for 2 mins more, stirring, until fragrant.
- Once out the oven tip the tofu into the pan and mix with the black beans and mushrooms for a few minutes.
- Warm the tortillas following the pack instructions.
- Taste the sauce for seasoning and add the coriander leaves and a squeeze of lime.Serve with the tortillas, lime wedge, avocado and quark or soured cream on the side.
The Nutrition information is based on the tofu mixture with one tortilla and 35g Avocado along with the salad and quark as pictured