Lemon and Blueberry Banana Loaf; well doesn’t that sound like a yummy flavour combination! Believe me, it sure is! This gluten free banana loaf is soft but quite dense in texture making it the perfect healthy on the go breakfast or filling snack!
When it comes to banana bread theres an endless list of flavour combinations you could create. I normally tend to opt for chocolatey based breads… Chocolate Nutty Banana Bread and Salted Caramel Banana Bread which is why I decided to experiment with more of fruity flavour with this one.
I would say the texture for this loaf is slighter thicker and more dense than a standard banana bread. Therefore a slice of this topped with nut butter and added blueberries makes a great breakfast that takes only 2 minutes to prepare! And a great alternative to that morning bowl of oats!
I added Lupin flakes to the recipe which is something I’ve only just recently discovered. Its described as an alternative to quinoa and has a similar texture to it. They are one of the worlds richest sources of combined fibre and protein and are lower in carbs than oats! Definetly something worth trying if you can get your hands on some. If not you could however replace the Lupin Flakes with ground oats or extra flour.
Heres the recipe for you to try….
- 2 large bananas
- 30g honey or sugar free syrup
- 20g (2 Tbsp) coconut oil
- 2 whole eggs
- Tsp baking powder
- 100g (1 cup) buckwheat flour
- 80g (3/4 cup) Lupin Flakes (sub with oats if you don't have)
- Zest from 1 whole lemon
- Large handful blueberries
- ⅓ tsp bicarb
- Pinch salt
- Dash vanilla extract
- Preheat your oven to 180c and line a loaf tin with baking paper.
- In a large mixing bowl, mash the bananas with the back of a fork until almost smooth. Beat in the coconut oil, honey and vanilla extract.
- Beat in the eggs one by one and mix everything well until fully combined.
- Fold through all of the dry ingredients so that everything is fully incorporated.
- Carefully stir through the blueberries and lemon zest, then pour your mixture into the loaf tin and pop into the oven to bake for around 40 minutes, or until cooked through.
- Remove the cake from the oven and allow to cool completely before slicing into portions. I love to serve this with some creamy nut butter and fresh blueberries for a quick and delicious breakfast or snack!
What's Your Reaction?
Hi, I’m Vicky and I created this blog to hopefully pass on my passion for baking up yummy healthy creations. Eating healthy and exercising is a big part of my lifestyle and something that is very important to me. Thanks for reading!