Choosing the right food and nutrients before exercising can make such a difference to your energy levels while working out. And what you eat after is just as important to help with muscle and energy recovery! I’ve compiled a few of my favourite foods to eat before and after exercise which will hopefully help supercharge your workout!
If I’m eating before training in the evening I tend to have a snack about 1-2 hours before and a full meal usually around 3-4 hours before. If I’m training in the morning I have a pre-workout snack about 1 hour before and then have breakfast after. I know some people love to train fasted in the morning and while that may work for some, I find I get more from my morning workouts having a carb/ protein snack beforehand.
This is where a good balance of carbohydrates and protein come in. So many people still think of carbs as “bad” and avoid them all together. But good carbs are vital in giving you that much needed energy for your workout. See my previous article on carbs….Embrace or Avoid? for more information on which carbs are considered ‘good’ carbs.
Some of my favourite snacks to have 1-2 hours before a workout are:
- 2 rice cakes with almond butter or cottage cheese
- Home made Protein bars- I’ve got a selection I make on my snacks page such as my Raw Protein Chocolate Fudge Brownies
- 100g Greek Yogurt with granola
- Handful of nuts and 1/2 banana
- Protein shake- one scoop of protein mixed with 1/2 banana, 20g oats and almond milk
- Carrot Sticks and homemade hummus
- 2 slices of toast with chocolate spread 😋
I try and refuel within 60 minutes of exercising where I can. I tend to focus on Protein immediately post workout to replenish and rebuild the muscles. However my next big meal after a workout I always include carbohydrates to help with recovery.
Some of my favourite post-workout protein snacks include:
- Protein Shake- one scoop of protein mixed with almond milk
- 150g Greek Yogurt with a scoop of whey and sprinkle of nuts/ seeds
- Low Carb Protein bar- such as Grenade Carb Killa’s or homemade ones (see link above)
- 2 boiled eggs
- Egg White Scramble
- Chocolate Milk
- Protein water
Hopefully that helps any of you after a few snacks ideas 🙂 Although this works well for me, its very individual, so play around with food timings and find out what works for you.
If you have any great go to snacks then I’d love to hear so please comment below.