I’ve already made a couple of batch of doughnuts before and theres a few reasons I keep making more; they’re super easy, low in calories, high in Protein and the best bit…… they taste so good!
I used a strawberry flavoured whey for the jelly flavour and for the other half of the classic PB & J combo I used a peanut butter icing….oh my!! I also topped the doughnuts with crushed nuts and chocolate for that added crunch. You could however top the doughnuts with whatever you have in the cupboard.
For the doughnut mixture you simply whizz everything up in a blender. I use a doughnut maker which means it even easier and they cook in around 5 minutes but you can use doughnut trays in the oven which works just as well.
I tend to eat these doughnuts as a morning or afternoon snack (as who doesn’t have snacks between every meal?!). But they could be enjoyed anytime of the day…even breakfast! The main ingredients used in the doughnuts; banana, oats and whey are very similar to a classic pancake or porridge mix. See below for the recipe:
- ½ ripe banana (around 55g)
- ½ cup rolled oats
- 30g protein powder- I've used mixed strawberry flavour (can use whey or vegan powder)
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 4 tbsp egg whites
- Dash of vanilla extract
- 1 tbsp peanut butter
- 1 tsp low calorie fruit syrup / honey
- 25g quark
- Crushed nuts and chocolate
- Preheat your oven to 180c and grease a doughnut pan with a little coconut oil. If you have a doughnut maker switch this on to heat up and again grease the maker with a little oil.
- To make the doughnut batter, add the ingredients into a blender and blend until smooth and creamy,
- Pour the mixture into the doughnut tray, filling each of them.
- Smooth over the surface and pop these into the oven to bake for around 15 minutes or in the maker for around 5 minutes (may depend on manufacturer)
- Once the doughnuts are ready, remove them from the oven/maker and allow to cool slightly, before removing them and placing them onto a wire wrack to cool.
- Meanwhile, combine peanut butter, syrup and quark in a bowl and mix well.
- When your doughnuts have cooled, ice each of them with the peanut frosting and decorate with toppings of choice.