Aside from Pancakes, waffles are one of my favourite weekend breakfasts! However, I feel I just took the waffle game to the next level with this Peanut Butter and Banana Waffle sandwich! The recipe for the waffles is gluten-free and high in protein! I also include options to make this recipe vegan!
- Protein Powder
- 1 Egg
- Egg White (optional and could be swapped for milk or a milk alternative)
- Baking Powder
You simply mix together the above ingredients and then I use a waffle iron to make them up in less than 10 minutes. If you wanted to make this recipe vegan you could use a flax egg, vegan protein powder and the milk alternative instead of the egg whites.
The recipe for the waffles alone is only 200 calories and contains 35g Protein! A great low carb breakfast that will keep you full until lunch due to the combination of the fat (from the egg) and protein. I do however add banana to provide some extra carbs. I find I need this due to the weight training I do and carbs are essential in providing that much needed energy! On a side note, tomorrow I am off to London for the LiveWell Weekend. It will be great to meet brands I’ve been working for, attend a few fitness classes that have been put on by some of the top London gyms and to hear some inspirational people talk all things health, fitness and wellness. Comment below if you would like me to do a blog post on this event!
Heres the recipe for the waffles…
- 25g scoop of Protein Powder (i used vanilla flavour but you could use any flavour you have)
- 1 Medium egg
- 4 tbsp Egg Whites
- ½ tsp baking powder
- Preheat your waffle iron according to the instructions
- While the waffle maker is heating up, mix together all the above ingredients until there are no lumps. Pour the mixture into your waffle iron.
- The time taken to cook the waffles will depend on your waffle maker. I usually cook mine for around 8 minutes.
- Sandwich with peanut butter and banana or your favourite toppings