To me apple crumble is the perfect Autumn dessert, its cozy, comforting, cinnamon-spiced & absolutely irresistible! This isn’t however a standard crumble recipe this is a healthy, refined sugar and gluten free crumble with added protein.
As a child, I was never one to crave cake as a dessert but I certainly would never turn down crumble. I decided to make it my mission to make a healthy version of crumble that tasted just as good as the crumble i would eat as a child.
Unlike the traditional recipe that contains lots of sugar, butter and flour. This recipe is sweetened with only a small amount of coconut sugar and low calorie fruit
syrup. The rest of the sweetness and crumble topping is made using a combination of oats and nuts such as desiccated coconut and ground almonds.
To add in extra protein to the recipe alongside the nuts I added a scoop of protein powder, however this is of course optional.
Although this a classic dessert I have to say I’ve also enjoyed this for breakfast. I think of it as deconstructed porridge 😉
- 400g cooking apples
- 1 tbsp cinnamon
- 20g coconut sugar
- 150g frozen berries
- 1 scoop of protein powder (i used vanilla) can also use vegan protein
- 10g desiccated coconut
- 35g ground almonds
- 25ml of low calorie fruit syrup
- 200g porridge oats (if gluten free use gluten free oats)
- 1 tbsp cacao powder
- Cook the chopped apples with the sugar and cinnamon in a large pan, stirring occasionally – add a splash of water if they start to stick on the bottom. When just about tender and a bit saucy, tip into a large ovenproof dish. Top with the frozen berries.
- In another bowl combine all the dry ingredients and then mix in the fruit syrup. Place the mixture on top of the frozen berries and apples
- Place in a preheated oven at 170oc for 25 minutes or until golden on the top and hot in the middle.
- Serve with custard or yoghurt
What's Your Reaction?
Hi, I’m Vicky and I created this blog to hopefully pass on my passion for baking up yummy healthy creations. Eating healthy and exercising is a big part of my lifestyle and something that is very important to me. Thanks for reading!