So– I think I have a new favourite brownie recipe! These brownies are INCREDIBLE (if I do say so myself, haha!). They are so soft, fudgey and delicious. They contain beetroot but I promise you that you can’t taste it at all – they taste just like heaven! They are gluten free and refined sugar free and I also include alternatives in order to make these Vegan.
I love a healthy version of a brownie and my Black Bean Protein Brownies are certainly very tasty but I think the beetroot brownie has become my new favourite. The beetroot makes the brownies so moist and gives a slight earthy taste that compliments the rich chocolate flavour perfectly.
To pack in a bit of extra protein I added in some chocolate whey protein powder, however I’ve also tried with vegan protein powder and it worked equally as well. I did add some egg whites to the recipe but this could be subbed for almond milk to make it vegan.
Each little one of these bars contains less than 100 calories and 7g Protein. Therefore they make a perfect high protein low calorie snack. Which if your anything like me, its needed after an over indulgent Christmas!
See below for the recipe. If you try it i’d love to hear your comments below or tag me in your pictures if you’re on Instagram cleanleanbakes 🙂
- 200g Cooked Beetroot
- 25g Low Calorie Fruit Syrup
- 1.5 tsp Baking Powder
- Tsp Cinnamon
- 20g Cocoa Nibs
- 20g Cocoa Powder
- 50g Pitted Dates
- 50g Chocolate Whey Protein (or Vegan protein)
- 15g Coconut Oil (melted)
- 50g Egg Whites (or almond milk if Vegan)
- Preheat the oven to 170c and line a small baking tray.
- Simply pop all the ingredients except the cocoa nibs into a food processor and combine until a smooth batter is formed.
- Fold the cocoa nibs into the batter.
- Pour the mixture into the lined tray and bake on the middle shelf for around 25 minutes until cooked through.
- Remove the brownies from the oven and allow them to cool before you slice them up and devour them. I warn you, they’re very moreish!
What's Your Reaction?
Hi, I’m Vicky and I created this blog to hopefully pass on my passion for baking up yummy healthy creations. Eating healthy and exercising is a big part of my lifestyle and something that is very important to me. Thanks for reading!