When it comes to recipes and homemade protein bars my main criteria is; simple to make, nutritious and delicious and these bars certainly tick all those boxes. They are gluten free, high in protein and make the perfect snack!
I’ve made a similar version to these bars before using a chocolate topping (Chocolate Oat Protein Slices) but decided to mix them up and add a berry topping using a combination of only 3 ingredients; Quark, beetroot powder and berry flavoured whey. I only used a tsp of the beetroot powder therefore you can’t taste it and it was more to give it the perfect pink colour.
To me these slices taste very similar to a strawberry cheesecake except without all the added sugar and calories to go with it.
Each slice is around 130 calories and contains 10g of Protein! It combines both natural protein sources such as egg white, quark and peanut butter (Oh yes, peanut butter is included!) alongside whey powder. The perfect afternoon snack that works great as a bit of preworkout fuel due to the slow energy releasing oats.
- FOR THE BASE:
- 2 tbsp Peanut Butter (can use another nut butter)
- 2 tbsp low cal fruit syrup (or maple syrup)
- 2 tbsp Coconut Oil
- 120g Oats (use gluten free oats if required)
- 25g Desiccated Coconut
- 2 scoops of whey protein (any flavour)
- 5 tbsps egg white
- FOR THE TOPPING:
- 200g Quark
- Tsp Beetroot Powder (optional)
- ½ scoop of Berry Whey
- To make the base combine the nut butter, coconut oil and fruit syrup in a small pan and heat gently until the coconut oil has melted
- Remove from the heat and stir in the vanilla, oats, coconut, egg white and protein powder until well combined and the mixture forms a sticky dough
- Tip the oat mixture into a lined circular tin and spread evenly. Keep this in the freezer while you make the topping
- To make the topping, simply mix the 3 ingredients together.
- Sprinkle over your chosen toppings and return to the freezer for a minimum of 3 hours.
- Slice and enjoy!
What's Your Reaction?
Hi, I’m Vicky and I created this blog to hopefully pass on my passion for baking up yummy healthy creations. Eating healthy and exercising is a big part of my lifestyle and something that is very important to me. Thanks for reading!