These puffed buckwheat & granola bites are one of the latest things that I’ve been rustling up in my kitchen and are basically like a grown up version of those delicious chocolatey rice crispy cakes that we all used to love as children. Even better…they also incorporate peanut butter…yummy!!
This version has got a slightly more nutritional twist, but is definitely no less delicious! I’ve used something a little different here in place of the typical rice crispies: a mix of granola and buckwheat puffs. I have to say buckwheat puffs are one ingredient that is always in my cupboard as they make a great addition to yoghurt bowls and snacks such as these! As these are made from buckwheat, they also contain a little extra protein along with the protein you get from the peanut butter and granola.
I used a granola that contained a mix of buckwheat and seeds for an extra nutritional kick by EatNatural. This recipe is a great simple easy recipe that would be perfect to make with the kids or on a lazy Sunday afternoon to prepare some snacks for the week. If you can’t get buckwheat puffs you could also use quinoa puffs, both of which you can usually find in any health food store.
- 25g (11/2 cups) puffed buckwheat
- 25g (1 cup) granola
- 1 scoop of fudge whey (optional)
- 40g Crunchy Peanut Butter
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- 2 tbsp fruit syrup (or maple syrup/ honey)
- Topping: Low sugar Chocolate sauce/ spread
- Mix together the dry ingredients in one bowl (buckwheat, granola, whey if using)
- In another bowl melt the coconut oil and then stir in the peanut butter and fruit syrup
- Slowly add the dry ingredients into the melted mixture until combined. If you don't have enough liquid add more fruit syrup and coconut oil to the mix.
- Spoon into a muffin tin and drizzle chocolate syrup over each one
- Freeze for around 30 minutes to an hour until set
- I store in the feezer