Red Velvet Baked Doughnuts (or Donuts) they are made from only 7 key ingredients and are ready in less than 15 minutes. They are also Vegan and Gluten Free.
Baking doughnuts are so much healthier then the typical method, although they taste just as good! And baking these doughnuts was made so easy with the use of my new Tala baking tray which you can see further down the post (you can find it on Amazon Tala Doughnut Tray). You simply spray it with a bit of coconut oil and then I piped the mixture into the tray, using Tala’s piping set and then popped in the oven to bake.
Healthier vegan doughnuts like these make the perfect afternoon pick me up or lower sugar dessert. Unlike regular doughnuts they are free from artificial colourings and flavourings and are rich in antioxidants through the use of ingredients such as the beet powder
These vibrant doughnuts get their bright red colour from antioxidant-rich beetroot powder as well as blended cooked beetroot. Beets themselves are pretty impressive with a repertoire of nutrients such as potassium—a great mineral for optimizing blood pressure and protecting the heart. Research also shows that people who consume plenty of potassium through their diet have a lower stroke risk.
Beets are also an abundant source of phytochemicals, which function like antioxidants defend against harmful pathogens, as well as decrease the risk of heart disease. Even better the red beet colour eliminates any need for artificial dye…perfect right!
I used a traditional icing sugar for the frosting then topped with various sprinkles but if you were wanting a reduced sugar topping you could opt for a blended cashew nut or vegan cream cheese frosting.Heres the recipe….
- DOUGHNUT MIX
- 250g (1½ cups) flour (I used buckwheat)
- 45g (1/2 cup) granulated sugar ( I used coconut)
- ½ tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp cocoa powder
- 1 tsp beet powder (optional)
- 1 chia egg
- 150ml (1 cup) milk (I used almond)
- 1 tbsp reduced sugar syrup
- 80g steamed beets (around 1 small beet) blended
- 40g Icing Sugar
- Almond Milk
- Heat oven to 350°F/175c
- Lightly spray doughnut pan with cooking spray
- In medium bowl, stir together flour, sugar, baking powder, cinnamon, beet powder and cocoa powder with whisk.
- Add the beets to a blender and blend
- In a separate bowl beat chia egg, oil, milk, maple syrup, blended beets and whisk.
- Pour wet ingredients into dry ingredients; fold until just combined.
- Transfer mixture to the Tala doughnut pan
- Bake on centre oven rack 10 to 12 minutes or until doughnuts are golden around edges and spring back when touched.
- For the icing mix the icing sugar with enough milk to get the right consistency. Dip the doughnuts in the sugar once cooled and then top with all the sprinkles you desire
Check out Tala’s website for their full range of bake wear.