A delicious, comforting and healthy baked oat bar, packed full of nutrients and flavour and topped with a healthy, sticky salted caramel glaze! These Salted Caramel Breakfast Oats Bars are quick, easy and delicious and are gluten-free, vegan and high protein!
Lately I have been tending to go to the gym early morning before work and I have become a bit bored of the post workout protein smoothie for breakfast. Therefore, I decided to create a snack that incorporates many of my favourite ingredients (oats, peanut butter, protein powder) to get the same high protein benefits of a post-workout smoothie but all in a little bite sized bar.
Whitworths also kindly sent me some of their new seed range to try, one of which was salted caramel flavoured mixed seeds…..a great excuse to make these with one of my favourite flavourings! I decided to make these Vegan using flax eggs, however you could of course use eggs instead, if not making them Vegan. Similarly I used vegan protein but whey protein would also work well.
See below for the recipe……
- Dry ingredients
- 125g (1¼ cups) gluten-free rolled oats
- 25g (1/4 cup) coconut flour
- 3 Tbsp Flaxseed
- 1 scoop protein powder (optional)
- Tsp zero calorie sugar (or normal sugar/ sweetener of choice)
- 1 tsp baking powder
- Wet ingredients
- 2 eggs (for vegan version, sub for 2 flax eggs)
- 50ml (1 cup) unsweetened almond milk
- Pinch vanilla extract
- 15g Peanut Butter (1/4 cup) (Can sub for any nut butter, coconut oil or butter)
- Toppings: mixed seeds
- Preheat the oven to 180 (350) degrees and line a deep baking tray with parchment paper. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine all the dry ingredients and set aside.
- In a separate bowl, combine the eggs, milk, and melted nut butter and mix until fully incorporated.
- Add the wet mixture to the dry and mix until fully combined. If mixture is crumbly, add a dash more milk until a thick batter is formed. Transfer to the lined baking dish and form into a rectangular shape. Top with the seeds and then bake for 30-35 minutes, or until golden and cooked through.
- I drizzled mine in a salted caramel sugar free sauce mixed with a tbsp of protein powder to create a glaze