These raw vegan salted caramel chocolate protein bars are a bar you seriously want to make. They are gluten free, refined sugar free and packed full of protein!
- They’re often full of artificial sweeteners, fillers, and other chemicals
- They almost always contain blends of low-quality oils and protein powders
- They don’t always taste the best
Homemade protein bars on the other hand…they can be amazing. They’re easy to make, can taste like a dessert while being quite nutritious, and they don’t make much of a caloric dent in your meal planning. These protein bar recipes work for pre-workout and post-workout nutrition, or just for adding a little taste and variety to your daily routine.
I used a vegan protein (mix of hemp, rice and pea protein) along with ground almonds and coconut flour as sources of protein. This combined with peanut butter and coconut oil makes the tastiest little snack bar: perfect for those on the go snacks that cost less than supermarket protein bars. I’ve made a similar bar with a mint flavouring Mint Chocolate Vegan Protein Bar which tasted devine, but I decided to change up the flavour with salted caramel, another winning combination when combined with chocolate!
- 70g vegan protein powder
- 8g ground almonds
- 2 tbsp cacao powder (or unsweetened cocoa)
- 8g coconut flour
- 25g peanut butter
- 3 tbsp low cal fruit syrup
- 1tbsp extra virgin coconut oil, melted
- 1 Tbsp zero sugar salted caramel syrup or flavouring
- 3 tbsp unsweetened almond milk
- CHOCOLATE TOPPING
- 25g dairy-free chocolate
- 1 tsp extra virgin coconut oil
- Line a medium-large bread pan with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, combine protein powder, almonds, coconut flour and cacao powder. Stir until well mixed and set aside.
- Add in nut butter, syrup, melted coconut oil, and salted caramel. Stir gently until well combined.
- Add one tablespoon of milk at a time, until mixture forms into crumbled dough texture. Dough should be moist, but slightly crumbly.
- Press mixture into prepared pan with slightly wet hands. Flatten as much as you can.
- In a small microwave safe bowl, melt chocolate and coconut oil together, 10-30 seconds, in increments, until the chocolate is melted.
- Pour the melted chocolate over the base and place in freezer for 30 minutes, or refrigerator for at least 1 hour to set. Lift parchment paper from pan and cut into 8 bars.
- Store bars in airtight container in fridge up to 2 weeks, and in freezer well wrapped for up to 3 months.