I don’t know about you, but Salted Caramel is a flavour I just can’t get enough of right now! In this recipe I’ve combined it with coffee which believe me works amazingly. This is truly a perfectly satisfying homemade protein bar containing 10g Protein per slice that is Gluten Free, Vegan and Refined Sugar Free
Funnily enough I’m not a big coffee drinker but I do love a subtle coffee flavour within a snack or dessert. The coffee flavour comes from the Vegan Protein Powder I added. If you want the coffee flavouring but don’t have the protein powder you could however add a small amount of cold brewed coffee instead. And if your just not a fan of coffee at all you could sub for another flavour such as chocolate or vanilla which would work equally as well.
Like a lot of my recipes, these Protein Bars are simple to make and require minimal ingredients. Many of which you are likely to find already in your cupboard such as coconut milk, cashews, granola and oats.
To truly pack this bar with Protein alongside the Protein Powder as mentioned, I added Cashew Nuts which are a great source of natural protein as well as high protein Granola which is high in protein due to the amount of seeds and nuts within it. My favourite base for a protein bar usually always combines Granola and Oats as when mixed with syrup and cinnamon its the yummiest biscuity base.
Oh and if your anything like me and panic the second you read a recipe and it mentions cashews soaked over night as you haven’t pre prepared. Don’t worry, I tend to find you can soak in boiling water for 20 minutes and they are soft enough to blend as long as you are using a good blender 🙂
Heres the recipe for you try…
- Salted Caramel Sauce:
- 150ml (1/2 cup) canned coconut milk (the thick part)
- 2 Tbsp coconut sugar
- ½ tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 40g (1 cup) Granola
- 50g (3/4 cup) Oats
- 2 tbsp maple syrup (or stevia or liquid sweetener of choice)
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- Coffee Layer:
- 70g (1 Cup) soaked cashews
- 30g (1/4 cup) coconut milk from can
- Scoop of Coffee Flavour Protein (or flavouring of your choice)
- Optional: ¼ cup of Cold Brew Coffee
- To make the syrup combine all the ingredients in a pan. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce to simmer & stir until it thickens.
- Meanwhile make the base layer by blending together all the ingredients and layering in a lined baking tin
- Blend together the ingredients for the coffee layer and pour over the base. Place in the freezer for around 10 minutes until beginning to firm
- Add the cooled syrup to the top and of the coffee layer and place back in the freezer to set before slicing
What's Your Reaction?
Hi, I’m Vicky and I created this blog to hopefully pass on my passion for baking up yummy healthy creations. Eating healthy and exercising is a big part of my lifestyle and something that is very important to me. Thanks for reading!