Here you have a chocolate caramel shortbread made from only 8 easily sourced natural ingredients meaning they are gluten free, vegan and refined sugar free! They are really simple to make and taste unbelievably good!
Now I have to say this is one of the yummiest snacks i’ve made in a long time and its a been a challenge to not eat them all at once. All you need to make this recipe is a food processor. Its one of the quickest recipes and you certainly won’t be disappointed with the result.
The caramel layer is made from nutrient rich ingredients such as dates, coconut milk, peanut butter and fruit syrup. I topped with vegan chocolate called Loving Earth which is the best vegan chocolate I’ve tried and I definetly recommend.
See below for the recipe…
- Ingredients for base:
- 45g cashews
- 100g gluten free rolled oats
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- 30ml coconut milk
- Ingredients for the middle layer:
- 80g medjool dates
- 2 tbsp crunchy peanut butter
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- Pinch of salt
- Ingredients for the chocolate topping:
- 1 heaped tbsp coconut oil, melted
- Tsp cacao powder
- 30g vegan chocolate
- Firstly pit the dates and place in a bowl of boiling water for roughly 10 minutes to soften
- Add all the base ingredients into a food processor and blend until the base forms
- Now line a baking tray with baking paper
- Add the base mix to the tray and push down (making sure to compact the base so it sticks) until your desired thickness (aim for around 1cm thick)
- Place in the freezer whilst the dates are still softening
- Once the dates have softened add all the middle layer ingredients to a blender and whiz until smooth
- Take the base out the freezer and evenly layer the middle mix on top
- Put back to the freezer whilst making the chocolate topping
- Now over a bain-marie add the coconut oil (I melt mine in the microwave to speed it up) and then do the same with chocolate. Gently whisk in the cacao powder bit by bit until its nice a thick
- Remove from the freezer and evenly pour the chocolate mix on top of and smooth out
- Place back in the freezer for 1 hour
- They are now ready to serve
What's Your Reaction?
Hi, I’m Vicky and I created this blog to hopefully pass on my passion for baking up yummy healthy creations. Eating healthy and exercising is a big part of my lifestyle and something that is very important to me. Thanks for reading!