This Healthy Gluten Free and Vegan Chocolate Chip Banana Bread is one banana bread you’ll want to try! It’s not just any banana bread its packed with all the Autumn vibes of added apple and pumpkin spice! Oh and of course its high in protein!
I feel 2020 has been the year of banana breads! It was one of those bakes during COVID lockdown that everyone was making and I can certainly see why. Not only is it easy to make, its so versatile as you can switch up the flavour with a few simple ingredients and it always tastes so damn good. One of my favourites during lockdown was Chocolate Chip Tahini Banana Bread and Granola Topped Paleo Banana Bread. However, I felt I needed to bring you guys one with a bit of an autumnal twist…. added apple puree and pumpkin spice.
This is also the first year I’ve actually been able to find ready made pumpkin spice!! Unlike the US, in the UK this is just something that isn’t easy to find. So when I saw it in Marks and Spencers I was very excited! The spice is super easy to make up yourself I know but hey its much easier buying it in a packet 🙂
The base of this banana bread alongside the mashed banana and puree apple is coconut flour, oats and ground almonds. The texture of this kind of banana bread is by nature heavier than if using regular flour but I’m totally ok with that and in fact I prefer it. But this is just too warn you incase you prefer a lighter texture to your banana bread. I literally couldn’t fault the flavour… chocolate, almond butter, vanilla and pumpkin is one yummy combo that’s for sure! The vanilla flavour comes from the added vanilla flavouring as well as a dairy free Barebells protein vanilla shake. This is optional however and you can sub with almond milk if your vegan or a vegan protein shake.
Such a great healthy snack or even breakfast on the go! Oh and just incase you were after anything I get my almond butter, vanilla drops, oats, maple syrup and chocolate from MyProtein If you use code CLEANLEAN you can get 37% off everything on their site 🙂
Heres the recipe:
- Wet ingredients:
- 2 flax eggs (2 tablespoons ground flax + 5 tablespoons water OR use two eggs)
- 140g (1/2 cup) homemade applesauce
- ½ cup mashed banana
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon vanilla drops or extract
- 3 tablespoon's almond butter
- 100mls Barebells Vanilla Shake or Almond Milk if Vegan
- Dry ingredients:
- 55g (1/2 cup) coconut flour
- 2 tablespoons ground almonds
- Tsp Pumpkin Spice
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 30-40g dark chocolate chips (or any dark chocolate)
- Preheat oven to 180oc and line or spray a loaf pan with parchment paper
- Mix together wet ingredients with hand mixer
- Add dry ingredients to wet and mix with a wooden spoon
- Fold in half of the dark chocolate chips
- Pour batter into a bread dish
- Bake for 20 minutes, sprinkle with the remaining chocolate chips on top and bake for another 20 minutes
- I love to serve mine with extra almond butter, banana and cacao nibs
What's Your Reaction?
Hi, I’m Vicky and I created this blog to hopefully pass on my passion for baking up yummy healthy creations. Eating healthy and exercising is a big part of my lifestyle and something that is very important to me. Thanks for reading!