These healthy oat flour scones are vegan, naturally gluten-free, and oil-free made with coconut yoghurt for a crumbly, subtly sweet, baked breakfast treat or afternoon tea accompaniment!
I don’t know about anyone else but when I have afternoon tea, forget the cakes it’s the scones that I look forward to the most! If I step foot in a good bakery, they are definitely the baked good I just can’t resist buying. Naturally therefore I decided I would try and make a healthier, gluten free and vegan version that I can enjoy everyday of the week rather than as a treat every now and again.
Besides the texture, one of my favourite things about these scones is the not-too-sweet taste. Less sugar obviously makes them more morning appropriate too, and it also makes them more topping appropriate. When I say topping I’m thinking my favourite….. CHIA JAM! Okay I may be a little bit biased towards fruity, but in my mind any biscuit-like bread just begs for a thick layer of berry jam spread on top. You could of course stick with regular jam instead of the chia jam but its a great reduced sugar healthier version.
I’d love to hear your comments below or see your pictures if you make these. Tag me on Instagram and I’ll share them on my stories cleanleanbakes 🙂
- For the Scones:
- 100g Oats
- 150g Coconut Yoghurt
- 1 Chia Egg (or regular egg if not vegan)
- 15g of Vegan Protein (optional)
- 1 tsp of Vanilla Extract
- 1 tsp of Cinnamon
- 100ml Almond Milk
- Handful of frozen Raspberries
- For the Chia Jam:
- 50g Frozen Blackberries
- 2 Tbsp Chia Seeds
- Preheat the oven to 190oc. Line or grease a muffin tin
- To make the chia egg combine chia seeds with water and set aside for 5-10mins
- Combine all the ingredients together in a mixing bowl, adding the milk last until the desired consistency is achieved. The consistency should be similar to porridge but not to runny
- Scoop mixture into the muffin tray. Bake in the oven for 30 mins
- Meanwhile make the chia jam by microwaving the frozen blackberries until warm and then mix in the chia seeds and leave to stand for around 15 minutes
- Remove the muffins from the oven to cool and keep in an air tight container in the fridge